| July 2016
We had a great turnout this month with 17 in attendance. Thank you Sharon Grodi
for the wonderful meal.
Reports from this year’s chairpersons:
• Kathy Judy, Veterans and Family Support Chair
o Our final mailing provided VFW National Home for Children 243 soup
labels. Way to go.
o August 7, 2016 is Michigan Day at the VFW National Home for Children.
District 6 will be selling lunch tickets. This is a great day to see how our
work helps veterans and their families in a variety of ways.
VFW National Home for Children
3573 S. Waverly Road
Eaton Rapids, MI 48827
• Mary Joly, Americanism/Patriotic Instructor Chair
o This is the best time of year to promote flag education and flag
o August 7, 2016 is Purple Heart Day. The Purple Heart Medal is the oldest
military award still given today.
• Lorissa Elinski, Camp Trotter Chair
o August 20, 2016 is family days at Camp Trotter. This is a day to see how
much fun our campers have. Hamburgers and hot dogs will be provided.
Take a dish to pass and have fun swimming and boating.
• April Killian, Hospital Chair
o Promote veteran and military suicide awareness
o We only have a few pins (blue tear drop with combat boots) left. They
are $2 each and will support the hospital fund.
• Dawn Shock, Legislative Chair
o Remember to write to your representatives. Michigan bills contact
www.house.gov/writerep and for Senate www.senate.michigan.gov.
o Remember primary elections are coming up.
• Sharon Grodi, Membership Chair
o Dues notices were sent out.
• Grace Connolly, Scholarship Chair
o Three $300 scholarships will be awarded August 19 at 8 p.m.
Applications are available in the Kennedy Room.
• Marji Terry, Youth Activities Chair
o Let’s remember Random Acts of Patriotism (R.A.P.). R.A.P. cards are
available at the Post or online http://www.vfwauxmi.org/youth.aspx.
When you see a child thanking a veteran or witness a youth place their
hand on their heart correctly, give him or her a R.A.P. card and be sure
they know how special they are.
Please take note of these special dates:
• July 23 thru 27, 2016 National Convention; Charlotte, NC
• August 13, 2016 District 6 Meeting; Mason Post 7309
• August 15, 2016: Art & Wine; Erie Post 3925
o Contact Dawn Shock if you wish to attend
Sincerely Darlene Andrzejewski