| October 2016
What a wonderful meeting this month with eighteen in attendance.
We welcomed three new members to the Auxiliary. Juanita Belair signed up under
her brother Eliud Elizondo. Andrew and Amber Sancrant signed up under their
father Tom Sancrant.
Thank you Marji for a great meal warming us on a chilly night.
Key take aways from September’s meeting:
• Our September care package sent to the troops overseas contained a
variety of items. Some of these were hand crafted bringing that comfort
of home to those away from family.
• We only have a few pins (blue tear drop with combat boots) left. They are
$2 each and will support the hospital fund. See April Killian for a pin. We
will be doing our annual Bingo event at the Ann Arbor VA Hospital next
April. Details forthcoming.
• Remember to write to your representatives. Michigan bills contact
www.house.gov/writerep and for Senate www.senate.michigan.gov.
Dawn is planning a trip to Lansing for a meet and greet with our state
representatives. Stay tuned for more details.
• Remember to pay dues. If you are thinking of becoming a Life member,
now is the time before Life membership increases in January.
• We are also trying to recruit new members to support our Post Veterans.
If you have anyone in your family, friends or neighbors that are eligible,
ask them if they would like to join. The requirements changed last year to
include male members. Please invite them to join. Contact LuAnne
(419) 346-7959 for an application and fees.
• Being too busy or too far away from Erie isn’t a problem. Just by being a
member is making a contribution. You are welcome to visit any VFW across
the Nation by showing your current member card. By making a donation to
our Auxiliary for one of our projects, is another way to support our
Veterans. Being an Auxiliary member is a way to honor our loved ones
who have made great sacrifices for our freedom.
• At the July VFW Convention, it was passed that effective January 1, 2017
the Men’s Auxiliary will be disbanded. Since 2004 they have supported our
Post and Auxiliary in so many ways. We need them to continue their
dedication. Please encourage them to join The Auxiliary. We are offering
current Men’s Auxiliary members a discounted new member fee for
already being a part of the VFW. We thank them all and appreciate their
devotion these past 12 years!
• There are many ways to help our veterans and community.
o Provide food for a homebound veteran or family member
o Provide books or magazines to a nursing home
o Send cards
Important upcoming events:
• October 17th: Blood Drive; 1pm-6pm
• Date TBD: Voice of Democracy and Patriot’s Pen Judging
• November 5th: Luna Pier Veterans Day Parade steps off at noon
• November 5th: Veterans Day Dinner 6pm Cocktail Hour
o Auxiliary to provide appetizers
• November 9th: Auxiliary Meeting
• November 10th: Marine Corps 241st Birthday
• November 11th: Veteran’s Day
• November 11th: Veteran’s Day Ceremony at Mason High School
• December 3rd: District 6 Meeting; Ann Arbor Post 423
• December 10th: Santa comes to Erie
Sincerely Darlene Andrzejewski