| July 2017
A very informational meeting was held last night. Thank you to the members for being responsive and
participating. I'm proud to announce that our own District 6 was awarded second place in District
Achievement for the State of Michigan and achieved a Circle of Excellence Award at the Department
Conference in June. Thank you for all your hard work and dedication. It showed.
• Our newest member, Dean Cousino, was installed. Dean is a journalist with the Monroe News. He will
be promoting the Erie VFW and its Auxiliary in the news.
• Committee chairmen are asked to distribute a list of reportable activities at the next meeting. During
the Good of the Order we will demonstrate how to enter your activities. This month the site was still not
reportable. Again, the chairmen can use your help. If there is something that may interest you, please
contact myself or the chairmen. Officers, you can also help.
• Legislative bills regarding veterans - Michigan: www.senate.michigan.gov. Ohio: www.ohiohouse.
gov. You can also join the VFW Action Corps. Go to www.vfw.org. Go to VFW in D.C. tab, click on
Grassroots Advocacy. Then click on “Join Action Corps” button “Action Corps sign up now.” Fill out the form
on your screen, click submit, click continue. You will now begin receiving VFW Action Corps weekly in your
box every week.
• Annual members, we are now collecting 2018 dues. Make checks payable to VFW Auxiliary #3925. Mail
to LuAnne DuVall, PO Box 265, Erie, MI 48133. Your new card will be sent to you via National Headquarters
in a few weeks.
• Life members: You should be receiving your new card in the mail during July.
• Reminder: The Post and Auxiliary $300 college scholarship drawing will be held on Friday, August 18th,
8:00 p.m. sharp. Eligibility includes post and auxiliary members, their spouses, children, grandchildren and
great-grandchildren. Applications are available in the Kennedy Room and www.erievfw.com. 2 winner’s
names will be drawn.
• August 6th is Michigan Day at National Home in Eaton Rapids. I will be attending. If you'd like to share
this awesome experience along with me, give me a call.
• August 19th is the Auxiliary Golf Outing at the Tamaron Golf course. $55 per player includes 18 holes,
cart and a self-grilled steak or chicken dinner at the post, following the event. Winners will receive prizes. A
50/50 raffle will be held. If you'd like to join the others for just dinner make an advanced reservation.
Sponsors ($50) are needed. Please ask your place of work, and local merchants. Forms are available in the
Kennedy Room, Jewelling Shop, Marji Terry and www.erievfw.com.
• August 21 we will be holding an American Red Cross Blood Drive from 1-6.
• August 26 is the District 6 meeting in Lansing. If you'd like to attend you are welcome to ride with me.
Call me if you are interested. A Bake Sale will be held. If you'd like to donate, please let me know.
• The next session of Lucky 100 will be held Sept. 15 through November 17. Get your tickets soon. They
• September 17th, the Post’s 5th Annual Car Show, 11am-4pm. This year the Auxiliary will be having a
Bake Sale Fund Raiser. I will be chairing that event. I will be contacting members for donations of
everyone’s delicious goodies.
• September 20th thru the 24th I will be attending the Fall Conference in Boyne Highlands Michigan. Two
room reservations have been made. Interested in attending? Let me know.
• October 28 we will be having a Halloween Party. More info to come.
• The next meeting will be held August 9th at 7:00 pm. If you need transportation, let me know.
• Prayers are needed for Auxiliary sister Connie Stubleski who will be having lung surgery soon.
• The family of Grace Connolly wish to invite the Post & Auxiliary members to celebrate her 95th Birthday
celebration on Sunday, July 23rd, 1:00- 5:00 pm at the Post. Please bring a dish to pass. No gifts please.
Donations can be made to the “Connolly Scholarship” Fund.
**** Did you know? **** Past President Grace Connolly (65+ yrs.; Youth Activities) & family are one of the
reasons we are so busy. The following does not include the other projects we inherited from the Post
because they wanted shorter meetings. Since the ‘50s it’s been the Poster Contest (Patriotic Art), the Essay
Contest (Patriot’s Pen) and VOD. In 1957 the Foster Children care needs began. Shortly after ‘64, the Aux
took over from the Mason PTA giving out the student Citizen Citations and, in ‘73 the 1st Graduation
Breakfast and keychains. 1976 was the 1st St. Joe’s Graduation Mass. In 1999, under Past Commander Mike
Grodi, the Post-Aux Scholarships was started. In 2004 the Aux took over “Santa Comes to Erie” from the
Lioness Club. The date is unknown when Past Commander Mike Santure got us involved in the Mason
Scholarships. 2011 was the Recognition Dinner & Teacher of the Year.
Our records indicate that 9 of Grace’s heirs are Post/Aux members. Therefore, the boxes of awards are
NOT returnable to the Aux!
Next Month – Victory Over Japan and Our Royalty
I want to thank LuAnne for her research and sharing of all of the Post/Aux history. It's interesting and can
Dawn Shock, Past District 6 & Aux President