| June 2017
I am honored to serve as your President during 2017-2018. Many thanks to Dori Rollins for providing the
delicious taco meal.
• Welcome new member Dean Cousino, eligibility under his father Ligourie, past Post member. He joins
his mom Mary Morrin, sisters Laura Cousino, Lynne Smith, and niece Tiffany Smith as an Aux member.
• For the July 12th meeting, Committee Chairmen are asked to distribute a list of reportable activities.
Our chairmen can use your help in any way you can. It’s the small things that add up to be big stuff. Contact
Dawn if you’re able to help.
• The Buddy Poppy Days were a success due to Val Brazeau and the 10 volunteers. Thank you for
donating your time for our Veterans and their families. Val, you did a great job again this year organizing it
all! Please thank your sister for the cards.
• 4th of July is around the corner. Old flags can be dropped off in the Kennedy Rm box for proper
• Congratulations to Aiden Whitt, grandson of Sharon Grodi, winner of the Camp Trotter drawing. We
hope you have a really great time and meet new friends!
• We were thanked from a Post member who happened to be in the AA VA Hospital when we were there
in April. She is grateful for the care box and especially for the walker pouch. It’s great to know what we do
touches people in special ways.
• Legislative bills regarding Veterans - Michigan: www.senate.michigan.gov. Ohio: http://www.
• Beginning July 1st The VFW National Auxiliary will implement a new card system MALTA (Membership
Auxiliary Leadership Technology Access). Please be on the lookout in the mail for new cards.
Annual Members: We are now collecting 2018 dues. Make $20 check payable to VFW Auxiliary #3925. Mail to
LuAnne DuVall, PO Box 265 Erie, MI 48133. You will receive a receipt as proof of payment. Then in a few
weeks, you will receive a new card in the mail from National Headquarters.
Life Members: In July you will receive a new card in the mail from Headquarters. You can then discard your
• Congratulations to the Mason Scholarship winners David Croley III and Valarie Hempel. Valerie and
Robert LeFevre were also awarded Citizen Citations. Key chain gifts were given to 90 Mason graduates.
Citizen Citations were awarded to Mason Middle School students Aiden Keane and Aryanna Rosenbrook.
Principle Ben Russow acknowledged and thanked us for what all our organization does for the community
• Reminder: The Post & Auxiliary $300 college scholarship drawing will be held on Friday, August 18th, 8:
00 pm. Eligibility includes Post and Auxiliary members, their spouse, children, grandchildren and great-
grandchildren. Applications are available in the Kennedy Rm and www.erievfw.com. Late applications will not
be accepted. 2 winners are drawn at random.
• The Auxiliary Golf Outing is August 19th at Tamaron. $55 per player includes 18 holes, cart and a self-
grill steak or chicken dinner at the Post following. There’ll be prizes for the winners, contests and a 50/50
raffle. $12.50 for just the dinner. Please make an advance reservation so we can get a count. Sponsors
($50) are needed. Please ask your place of work and local merchants. Both forms are available in the
Kennedy Rm, Jewelling Shop, Marji Terry and www.erievfw.com.
• Lucky 100 current drawing ends July 14th. Tickets for drawing starting Sept 15th will be available at
the July 12th meeting.
• Get well wishes to Rich Russell and Diane LaPlante who have recently had surgery.
• Save the Date: July 23rd, 1pm-5pm – The family of Grace Connolly is having a party at the Post to
celebrate her 95th birthday.
Bring a dish to pass. No gifts please! Donations can be made to the “Connolly Scholarship Fund.”
Did you know? The Aux has had the same meeting day since 1948. According to the meeting minutes of
Secretary Jane Jacobs, wife of “Doc”, (not to be confused with Dusseau, Soda or Wilson):
July 17, 1948 (Hobby Inn, Erie MI) – “The meeting was closed and the rest of the evening was
spent drinking and dancing. It was decided to meet the 2nd Wednesday of every month.”
Meetings were held at 8:30 pm until 1997. In ’93 they tried having the Post & Aux meetings on the same
night. That was short lived.
The 1949 Inspection report says “the Aux was found to be poor in the Rituals, bad floor work and need much
help.” The committees haven’t changed much either except for; War Bonds, Civil Defense (sky watch & bomb
shelter), Polio Drive and collecting cigarettes and used smoking jackets for the hospitals. Next Newsletter will
address Why are the Aux meetings sooo long? Let’s do the math…. by July 2018 it will be 1000(+) hours of “I
dull” chatter. Ugh!
Important upcoming events:
• Thru July 14, 2017: Lucky 100 Drawing, Fridays 7:00 pm Kennedy Rm
• July 22-26, 2017: 118th National Convention, New Orleans LA
• Aug 12, 2017: National Auxiliary President visit to Michigan
• Aug 18, 2017: Post-Aux Scholarship Drawing, 8:00 pm Kennedy Rm
• Aug 19, 2017: Aux Golf Outing, 8:00 am Tee Off, Tamaron Country Club, Toledo
• Aug 21, 2017: Blood Drive 1-6 pm; Oct 16, 2017: Blood Drive 1-6 pm;
Feb 12, 2018: Blood Drive 1-6 pm
• Aug 26, 2017: District 6 Meeting, Lansing
• Sep 15 thru Nov 17, 2017: Lucky 100 Drawing, Fridays 7:00 pm Kennedy Rm
• Sep 17, 2017: Post 5th Annual Car Show, 11am-4pm
• Sept 20, 2017: Fall Conference, Boyne Highlands, MI
• Oct 28, 2017: Halloween Party
Dawn Shock, Past District 6 & Aux President