| March 2017
The strong wind did not deter our meeting. We had 13 members in attendance this
month. Remember to reach out to those of our members who are under the
weather or need a ride to the meeting.
We welcomed five new members:
• Timothy Andrzejewski signed up under his brother William Andrzejewski
• John Conley signed up under his father James Conley
• Mike Denko signed up under his father Mike Denko
• James Jablonski signed up under his father David Poulin
• William Mominee signed up under his grandfather Abner Mominee
We did it! We have 32 new members for 2017. Total membership is now 154. We will
receive the National Achievement Award at the July Convention hosted in the “Big
Easy” city of New Orleans (aka: New Orleenz, Oarlinz, Awluns). Dawn Shock is
planning on attending this year. Contact her if you’re thinking of going.
Key take aways from February’s meeting:
• Buddy Poppy days are May 11-13th, 2017. We are looking at three local areas
for this fundraiser. Please contact Val Brazeau at 734-848-4784 if you are interested
in participating. The money collected goes towards our Veterans and their families.
It’s used to pay dues for members in a nursing home or hardship, postage for soldier
cards and packages, UNMET NEEDS, Post member’s and National scholarship
programs, sending a child to Camp Trotter, donations for the VFW National Home,
VA Hospital Bingo, buy Veterans dinners and many many more activities.
• Camp Trotter is fast approaching. Do you know a child between age 7-12 who
enjoys activities like swimming, archery, canoing, paddle boating, arts and crafts,
team building activities, fishing, hiking, hay rides, mountain biking, overnight camp-
outs and campfires, to name a few? We will sponsor one child to attend camp in
2017. Children (grand/great) of our Post members are eligible. There are (5) 1-
week dates to choose from (July 9th thru Aug 6th). The camp is located on Bills
Lake, Newaygo, MI. You will need to provide transportation to and from camp. The
drawing will take place on May 29th at the Post Memorial Day luncheon. Attention
out of town members, you don’t have to be at the drawing to submit an entry. Turn
names in to Darlene or Riss Elinski for our drawing. The kids that we’ve sponsored in
the past always say it was a lot of fun and made new friends!
• There are several bills on the floor that require our attention to support our
veterans. Michigan bills can be found www.senate.michigan.gov for Senate. Ohio
bills can be found http://www.ohiohouse.gov/.
• Our annual trip to the VA Hospital is April 13, 2017. We have a lot of fun playing
bingo with our Veterans. Carpooling is suggested. We will leave around 5:30 pm.
• Contact Sharon by Monday, March 13th if you want to place a RADA order.
• We are having a lot of fun during Friday night Lucky 100. Bring your favorite
side dish and join in for a relaxing night of good food and great conversation. The
next Lucky 100 will begin May 12th. Tickets available soon.
• Workers are needed for the March 25th Recognition Dinner 5:00 pm.
• If you have not paid your 2017 dues yet, they must be received by June 15th
to remain a member. After June 30th you will have to “rejoin” or will no longer be a
member. If you do not wish to continue your membership, please contact LuAnne.
• Elections will be held at the April 12th meeting. Please consider taking an
office, chairing or helping with a committee.
• Keep our veterans and their families in your prayers.
Important upcoming events:
• March 24, 2017 6pm: Set up for Recognition Dinner
Lucky 100 $500 drawing. Tickets for drawing starting May 12th available
• March 25, 2017 at 6 pm: Recognition Dinner (Patriots Pen, Patriotic Art, Voice
of Democracy, & Teacher of the
Year awards) Doors Open 5:30 pm, Dinner 6:00 pm awards to follow, Tickets $10
available at the door.
• April 12, 2017: Election of Officers, 7:00 pm Monthly Meeting
• May 10, 2017: Installation of Officers, 7:00 pm Monthly Meeting
• May 11, 12 & 13, 2017: Buddy Poppy Days
• May 12, 2017: Lucky 100 Drawing begins (ends July 14th)
• April 29, 2017: District 6 meeting in Monroe (contact Dawn to carpool)
• May 20, 2017: District 6 picnic; location TBD
• May 22, 2017: Department in Sterling Heights
• May 29, 2017: Post 3925 Memorial Day Service and potluck, Camp Trotter
• June 1-4: Department Convention
• July 22-26, 2017: 118th National Convention, New Orleans LA
Sincerely, Darlene Andrzejewski